After living in our home for fifteen years, I was tired of not being able to enjoy my fireplace during the winter months. When the fireplace was on, it would suck the heat right out of the house. After an evening by the fireplace, we would go upstairs and the bedrooms were so cold.
This winter we decided to convert our fireplace to a ventless system and it was perfect timing with the Polar Vortex that took over the nation.
Ventless Fireplace Remodel Well Worth the Cost
Our old fireplace already had gas logs. Converting our fireplace to the new ventless fireplace was simple. The difference is in the new logs which are specifically for a ventless system. Also, the fireplace now operates with the damper in the closed position. A remote control box was installed to operate the remote starter.
The beauty of this ventless model is that it heats up our great room which is the coldest room in the house. The room is mostly walls of windows and sits over a crawl space, not a basement.
The new fireplace is so easy to operate. You can turn it on and off with the click of the remote control. Our remote also has a built-in thermostat. I was always nervous lighting our old fireplace by turning the gas on and igniting the fire with a match.
The ventless fireplace is supposedly inexpensive to operate (time will tell when the our gas bill arrives). I have, however, been able to lower our furnace thermostat by a few degrees.
This fireplace remodel has been such a great addition to the room we live in the most. We only wish we did it years ago.
Furniture Rearrangement to Maximize View of Fireplace
In order to enjoy my new fireplace, I decided to rearrange the furniture for the winter months. I turned my two slipper chairs to make it more like a chaise lounge (see photos below). This opened up the view of my fireplace which I can now enjoy from my kitchen.
The new placement of my chairs has become my favorite place to sit where I can put my feet up and enjoy the fire. You will often find me there in the winter with my laptop writing my blog posts, catching up on email or watching tv. If it gets too hot, it’s as simple as turning the fireplace off on the remote control.
Note: It’s a good idea to install one or more carbon monoxide detectors in your home, no matter what type of fuel-burning appliance you have. Detectors are an inexpensive way to put your mind at ease about carbon monoxide levels.